Σάββατο 23 Οκτωβρίου 2010

A Legacy Of Lesbian Love Letters (No 6) - DEAR SAPPHO

2/28/1989
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEAUTIFUL . . . It's such a lovely day here, the goddesses know its your birthday and have made everything stunning for you.  I thought I would honor your memory in my own way and I got up and took a long bath and put on my leather pants and red jacket and boots and red lipstick like the first time I caught your eye on the bar stool that night when I held your attention long enough to get you to my motel room, if even for a moment, but it was enough to light the flame, which has not quit burning burning burning since and I love it so much, you, how it happened, where it is going, how good we look together on the street and how well we fit together under covers or on top of them or next to each other on the subway and I think YES YES this is as fine as fine gets only for us it will only get better and better, a thought that is awesome in its own right, when I think of you and what is growing between us like marigolds or zinnias, fast and furious in bold colors springing up all over the place, between cracks in city sidewalks and beside front porch swings bringing something wonderful and beautiful to all of those who walk by or see or feel it, and it is good to see it pass along among friends who can recognize THE GOOD and feel it and it rubs off on them and courses thru their bones too, this wonderful wonderful love that has come like Venus up from the waters, cool and sweet it makes me want to take you now, right now in my arms and hold you and kiss you everywhere everywhere not missing a single spot and love you with my mouth and my hands and my arms and my face so good it feels next to you, so perfect you feel, so perfect we are together cracking whips and gum and so happy we are, I am, I am so happy you were born today 29 years ago and so proud of your strength and your big brave heart baby that I just want to say from the bottom and top of my heart that I hope you have a happy day and a happy happy birthday and I love you so so much . . . 


Yours yours yours yours with
love - Lu


LUCINDA TO POLLY
Polly and Lucinda met at a Llibrarian's convention in Washington, D.C. on January 9, 1989.  Fortunate to have early and easy access to the internet at their owtherwise dull university jobs, they corresponded via e-mail for 8 months until Lucinda moved from Kentucky to join Polly in NYC.  They were joint caretakers of the Lesbian Herstory Archives from the time it moved to Brookly in June 1992 until their break-up in January 1994.  Their e-mail correspondence continues, though it looks quite different today.


From the book
DEAR SAPPHO A legacy of Love Letters
by KAY TURNER
Publishers THAMES AND HUDSON

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου