Τετάρτη 20 Οκτωβρίου 2010

A Legacy Of Lesbian Love Letters (No 4) - DEAR SAPPHO

Mary Woolley


July 11, 1900
What shall I do when the postman fails to bring me a letter everyday, dearest?  It did not come by this morning's mail and although I had said to myself that of course I should not have one today, nevertheless work dragged a little because it failed to come.  This afternoon mine was ready for him to take and as a reward, he gave me yours.  It takes me one-half second to tear open the envelope and then, darling, I literally devour the contents . . . .my darling, is it not strange that each should find inspiration in that other - I cannot understand how I can be an inspiration to you, but I can see full well why you inspire me every day as you do, so that all my life is different for me.  Darling, you are more lovely in nature and in every respect than I - do not ever say that you are not ''worthy''.  It is I who am not worthy of the woman who constantly brings to my mind those words of Jean Inglebrook's, ''A sweeter woman ne'er drew breath.'' No, as sweeter woman never did, nor a truer, braver, sincerer, nobler woman!  You are all that to me, dear heart, and far, far more.  You and my mother are enshrined in my heart as the dearest women God ever made. . . .
My heart is simply overflowing with love for you dearest - if you should be taken out of my life, it would kill me; perhaps not physically - people do live, even if the heart dies.  You would not give me your love to take it away again - I know that, as I know you, but it frightens me to realize how I depend upon this love of yours, and wonder how it is given to me in such richness.  I am selfish, my darling, I cannot understand how a mother can endure having her child give her heart to another.  You know that there is a side of my love which is very like its mother's for her child, while there is another quality that makes me feel that I am the child looking to you for the protecting, comforting love which you never fail to give.  I long to say to you ''Pet me, Jeannette'' and put my head on your shoulder to be loved and petted as only you can do it . . . . Do you realize what it means to have you, this heart of my life, to talk with you as I would with my own soul, to have nothing hid, to feel that we are one?. . . Goodnight, my darling, it is almost ten and I must leave to rest until tomorrow.  It is a constant to have this little talk.  What will it be to have it with my arms around you, my own little girl?. . . 
Your own Mary


MARY TO JEANNETTE
Mary Woolley was a professor of Biblical history at Wellesley College when she met a student, Jeannette Marks, in 1895.  They courted for five years.  At the turn of the century, Woolley became the President of Mt. Holyoke College. This letter was written before Marks was appointed to the college faculty and came to live permanently with Woolley at Holyoke.


From the book
DEAR SAPPHO
A Legacy of Lesbian Love Letters
by KAY TURNER
PUBLISHERS:  THAMES AND HUDSON, 1996  

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου