Κυριακή 24 Οκτωβρίου 2010

LESBIAN PORTRETS (1) Was Ruth a Lesbian?



Did Ruth and Naomi ''know'' each other in the biblical sense?  Naomi's husband, Elimelech, died and she and her widowed daughter-in-law, Ruth, went to live in Bethlehem together.  Naomi tried to dissuade Ruth from the journey - Ruth's passionate answer has become a popular declaration of love, often used in heterosexual marriage ceremonies:


Entreat me not to leave you or to return from
                                  following you;
For whither thou goest, I will go
Where thou lodgest, I will lodge
Thy people shall be my people, and thy God my
                                            God:
Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be
                                            buried:
The Lord do so to me, and more also,
If aught but death part thee and me.


Book of Ruth, 1:16-17


Η Ρούθ ήταν μία εβραία που αγαπούσε την πεθερά της πάρα πολύ μα πάρα πολύ (!) τόσο πολύ που όταν έμεινε χήρα έμεινε με τα πεθερικά της στο ίδιο σπίτι.  Οταν μια μέρα πέθανε και ο πεθερός της η Ρούθ δέν έφευγε από το πλευρό της πεθεράς της Ναόμι, η οποία έπρεπε να γυρίσει πίσω στη Βηθλεέμ, πόλη από όπου καταγόταν.  Η Ναόμι της είπε να μην την ακολουθήσει στη Βηθλεέμ... Η Ρούθ της απάντησε με τέτοιο πάθος πού ακόμα και σήμερα οι κουβέντες της χρησιμοποιούνται ως όρκος αγάπης από ζευγάρια κατά την τελετή του γάμου τους.  Υπάρχει μια εκδοχή που λέει οτι η Ρούθ και Ναόμι ήταν λεσβίες και είχαν σχέση.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου