Σάββατο 30 Οκτωβρίου 2010

A Legacy Of Lesbian Love Letters (No 12) - DEAR SAPPHO

Jane Heap
July 20, 1909
Dear Heart - my own - 
Your little letter sounded just like Tommy's little bird that was so glad for the sunshine, that he broke his little heart singing.  After all wasn't he a foolish little bird - who was the sunshine made for if not for him?  My dear dear Tiny Heart, why shouldn't you have all the love that Hattie and I can give you?  And don't get frightened over the little we can express - Think of the vast unsaid.  I have always felt that I was a good lover; but since I have loved you
I feel how utterly impossible it is to convey an idea of my love to you.  Except, perhaps by some symbol of beauty, of which great love is a part, it is nearly impossible.  If I ever write a ''pome'' or paint a picture that approaches the absolute beauty then you may see my love for you.
I thank you for entrusting your sister's letter to me. . . I am glad you mean to her and her child what she feels you do.  You know the little sentiment I have in regard to your mother.  I always have tenderness and a feeling of pity for her - because you are not really hers.
It seems as if her love for you and her fear of losing you had made a bond between us.  It seems to me that all the Gods are enemies, I trust none.  Oh if I should have to lose you!  I feel such hate at the very thot that I could crush the earth and pull down the heavens and destroy the little and big Gods - (I wonder what first barbaric lover felt thusly?)
Now you two are to see one another . . .
Maybe you can tell her a little of our love?  I should like to see her. I know I should like her. And she would like me.  No Fear! . . .
I have been thinking very much these days of Beauty -(poor name is it not for anything so Holy).  I know that if everyone felt Beauty strongly, felt that everything beautiful was God and all things not beautiful not God.  That woman was the nearest symbol for Beauty.  If one could see this - there would be no sin, or squalor, or unhappiness in the whole world.
I wonder what you do these beautiful starry nights.  I long for you, to sit with me and watch them - to see if they were sneering at our little day and helplessness - or whether in their impotent aloofness they do not long for even a little Human love.  And would exchange all their calm bright coldness for one warm young kiss . . . . 
Dear little wind-bell voice I pine to hear you.  Good night, Loved So Well, I wish you were here tonight and every night to go to sleep on my arm.
Your Jane
JANE TO FLORENCE
Jane Heap and Margaret Anderson
Jane Heap, born in Kansas, is best known for her relationship with Margaret Anderson, the founder of the Little Review (1914-29), which published early works by H.D.Eliot, and Joyce.  This letter, however, was written to an early lover of Heap's - Florence Reynolds of Chicago, who until her death in 1949, remained a great and supportive friend to Heap.
From the book
DEAR SAPHO A legacy of Lesbian lover letters
By KAY TURNER
Published:  THAMES AND HUDSON, 1996
Jabe Heap and Margaret Anderson, founding editors of the legendary Little Review, the
literary journal which first published the poetry of Ezra Pound and T. S. Eliot in the United States, as well as the first chapters of James Joyce'sUlysses (the printing of which led to the editors' arrest and trial for alleged obscenity).

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου